Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 70


I can't believe that today is the 70th day of my journey and this blog. I am feeling better this week after being under the weather for most of last week. I walked 4.5 miles on Monday and 3.0 miles this morning before work. Yesterday (Tuesday) would have been one of my 'cross-training' days. I planned to go the gym after work, but postponed that until tomorrow. Instead I went with 3 other people I work with and we did a 2 hour 'team building' service project. We went to a local outreach center and bagged 200+ bags of food for them. We laughed that it got brighter in the room the more we packed. Could be because when we started we were working at a table that was surrounded by pallets of boxed food (over 8' high). The more we worked the lower the boxes went and more light came in around us. Kind of symbolic that our hearts got lighter at the same time. It was just another example of how it's so easy to forget that there are others out there who are struggling (often through no fault of their own). It's good to stop and think about other people and stop and take a good look at ourselves. We all need to stop and ask ourselves 'What can I do to help? What can I do to make a difference?'

I think that all related back to the 3Day experience for me. I'm a survivor. I'm fortunate. I'm blessed with wonderful friends. I'm in a position to create awareness and hopefully make a difference. Through my fundraising and training if even 'one' person gets a mammogram or is encouraged to ask their doctor questions, it will have all been worth it.

My pastor said something interesting in his sermon last Sunday (which coincidently was on 'service'). He said that while we often might wonder 'What can I possibly do to help someone else?' that God only gives us gifts and talents that will someday reach out and touch someone else. We may not always know the time or the place that it'll happen, but we should never give up. It may be the person we weren't even looking for that needs our help the most. Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment