Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 130


So I did it. I survived my first 'longer' 3-Day training walk. I admit I was more than a little nervous. Saturday I walked with a few other fellow 3-Day walkers and walked 10.5 miles ... my longest single one yet. Just to make things interesting it was 47 degrees, drizzling, and had occasional wind gusts of up 35+ mph. A friend told me later that we should have gotten credit for at least an additional 2 miles since we were fighting the elements most of the time. But the good news is 'I did it'. No blisters and no leg cramps. Overall, a good experience. I'm anxious to get a few more under my belt. I figure that every longer walk I accomplish my confidence level should increase by at least a notch or two. The real test will be when I can get in the longer walks back to back. Weather permitting I'm hoping to do that this coming weekend.
A big thanks to Chris, my training walk leader, for setting these walks up. I'm not sure that I'd have the motivation or discipline to do them on my own. The bonus is that I'm meeting so many new people. It's been both fun and exciting to hear all of the stories about why each person has taken on this challenge.

1 comment:

  1. YEA!!!! You will be sooooo ready in August. Thanks to you too, for walking with me LOL. It is great meeting fellow walkers. Hopefully our little group of walkers will grow as we continue to train. I think we might have another new walker joining us soon. It'll be great to see familiar friends and faces when we get to opening ceremony and throughout the 3-day. Pat yourself on the back and keep walking!

    ReplyDelete