Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 189


Sorry, it's been over a week since my last post. It was a busy and crazy week - that's for sure. Last weekend I walked my 17 miles & 12 miles back to back on Friday & Saturday. I fared pretty good on the 17. I mapped out 4.25 miles in my subdivision and walked it 4 times with 10 minute breaks at home in between. It was a pretty good pace. At the end of the day my feet were tired and my heals had a couple of borderline blisters. I was attempting to break in my new shoes that I'd purchased at the Preview Expo. I was being smart and only wore them for the 1st half of the walk, then changed into my back up pair. On Saturday I walked the first 6 miles in the new ones, then changed socks and shoes for the 2nd 6. I made it about 3 miles and discovered that not only were both heels killing me but my right knee was really starting to hurt. I was having shooting pains up and down my leg with each step. I sent the rest of our walking group on without me and took a break at the 1/2 way point. Unfortunately it was 3 miles back to my car. I made it back but with a lot of limping and at a record-slow pace. By the time I got home I was limping badly and my heels looked horrible. Ouch, not a good experience (physically or mentally)!

I decided the new shoes (which the salesman had insisted I buy a 1/2 size larger than my other pair) were too big and causing too much sliding around my heal. Needless to say I took the week off of walking to give my feet and knee a chance to heal up & I exchanged my shoes last night. I walked 3 miles in the new ones tonight. They're a bit stiff yet, but we'll keep our fingers crossed that I can break them in. This weekend I'm supposed to walk 10 & 6. I'm gonna shoot for 6 tomorrow and then maybe do another 4 later in the afternoon - maybe break it up in shifts. Next weekend is a big 18 & 15. I need to pace myself this week, but build back up to it at the same time. Let's hope for a better week.

No comments:

Post a Comment